POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? : Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What's a good geometry reference book to get for ray tracing?
From: incognito
Date: 19 Nov 2003 22:30:01
Message: <web.3fbc34ce3a0ec787f4bb868a0@news.povray.org>
Christopher James Huff wrote:
>In article <web.3fbbea1e3a0ec7871c94e40c0[at]news.povray.org>,
> "incognito" <nomail[at]nomail> wrote:
>
>> Do you know of any books that will give the basic facts (I have forgotten)
>> on the shapes in shapes.inc
>
>Any shapes in particular? Most of them are pretty simple. I don't think
>you need Round_Box(), Wedge(), or Spheroid() explained.

Yes, I do. To be blunt, I'm not that young and have not had a geometry
course in several years...I have seen there are a couple books that might
address geometry for computer graphics in general, "Geometric Tools for
Computer Graphics" and "Computer Graphics Handbook: Geometry and
Mathematics" but only have the titles/authors and have not seen the books
in person to know what they cover. Unfortunately, the library system in my
area does not carry too many books on the subject for me to check out for
free before purchasing.

Also, have not seen too many books on ray tracers either that are not the
type that teach you how to make your own (except the ones on Maya). I am
not interested in doing that and also have no guarantee of ever working
with Maya.

Thank you.

I don't know